Tuesday, February 22, 2011

20) TransPac 2011 delivery e/m's 17

This may seem trivial, but do we need to supply bean bags for the delivery? 
 Dave

Best question yet!  4 will be aboard, please take good care as they are custom made.
Aloha,
Gib


...Attached is the start of the provisions spreadsheet.  This is rough and can use any help.

It is best if we all modify it and send it back to me and I coordinate the provisions.  At the least enter yes or no so we can calculate volumes.

Also add any items you want and make a note to the right to help in calculations.

After the ingredients have been picked we can work on a daily menu.

Please don't say I'll eat anything because it backfires in the volumes and attempts to cook.

There potentially will be: no in-depth cooking for the 1st 3 days; a several-day long stretch of good cooking; less cooking as we approach CA.

I am a proponent of freeze-dried ready to eat meals and once it gets cold and rough these are the quickest ways to get a meal.  I also eat tuna/chicken etc right out of the can when it is too uncomfortable to cook.

I plan to stick to my normal diet to maintain stability.  The shock to the system is bad enough to acclimate.  
Dave


2/26/11


...I am bringing a Standard Horizon VHF HX471S but don't want to bring the charging base because of its weight.  Are any of you bringing a charging base that is compatible?
Dave
I'm bringing one, but it's a West Marine.  I doubt the chargers are compatible.

Bill

 
2/27/11

Dave,

This looks great!  I apologize for the delay.  I have been out of town and not checking my email.

I would like to add canned green beans, instant potatoes, and Nutella (yum).  I believe they make bathroom wipes.  That might be an easy way to clean the head.  I'm fine with just going with minced garlic in a jar unless someone wants fresh garlic.

Also, maybe some other kind of meat for dinner.  Brats, Italian sausage, ???.

Did your ice last the entire Transpac?  I'm thinking we will probably run out of ice about half way through.  Maybe taking a cooler with dry ice with the lid duck taped?

About the rum and beer...  I'm thinking just a liter of rum and a 12-pack of good beer with Gib's approval.

How will does milk freeze?  That would be much less expensive than Parmalat.  We could take some of both.  Apple juice doesn't have to be refrigerated until opened.  Also other canned juices.

I am hoping to just drop off the list at the grocery store and have them pull and box everything.

Thanks!

Bill

2/27/11
Gib,

Attached is a rough-draft list of questions for Bill.  I have done research and there is practically nothing written for historical purposes about the SC50.  I have several pages written leading up to the SC50 and have done well enough to establish an SC Yachts introduction but came to a stop at the 50. 

My intent is to not ask questions that have nothing to do with the SC50.  I want answers that are detail-specific with respect to: why 50'?; where did the idea come from? (there is plenty to document where Merlin came from), etc.

These questions should also be directed at the owners of the boats to get other points of view that can confirm or substantiate Bill's answers.

I would like to get feedback from you on the doc I attached.  Insert your responses and questions and answers on the page.  These questions are an opportunity to shed light on the missing page of the SC50 history.

Dave 

2/28/11

I did not monitor the ice for the Transpac so I don't have an answer.

Last Oct I did the Baja Ha-Ha and we had a Styrofoam cooler filled with food and dry-ice; taped and wrapped in blankets, etc.  Easily a week or more into the storage of it we had hard ice cream from it so it works.  The rest of the frozen food stayed for a long time but the ice deteriorated quickly.

Not to confuse the issue but I do like rum and beer.  I've been a home-brewer for 11 years and prefer rum straight on the rocks.

I only cook with milk and do not know how it handles the freeze issue.  It has fat in it and will freeze/thaw at an unsteady rate.  Not sure if the U.S. has milk in a box yet like MX.  Everywhere else in the world it is available and does not fail on the shelf.

It may be easier to get packages of food that are sized to be consumed by all 4 in 1 sitting.  I prefer to open whatever it is and use it and get rid of it.  Like, a glass jar of apple juice can go overboard but a carton can't.  I know the fear of glass on a boat and I have no problems as long as it is stored correctly.  The issue of discarding overboard can turn into an issue on the passage.  I have no problem tossing everything but plastic.  I never liked pulling up to paradise with a group of garbage bags that the natives just go throw in the trees for a few bucks.

Dave


No comments:

Post a Comment