Friday, February 4, 2011

13) TransPac 2011 delivery e/m's 11

Hello from Horizon!

Our 1st Transpac meeting is tomorrow and I understand that there can be as many as 3-4 of the SC 50’s attending.  This year we will have as many as seven in our class and hopefully the Transpac Board recognizes our effort and affords us our own class.  Horizon will be participating in all the pre race events as well as the parties in Hawaii.   I’m hoping that we can get together prior to the Transpac race and start developing  a dialogue that would include sharing our race schedules as well as protecting the integrity of our class.  I would be more than willing to host a dinner or pick a central location where we can all meet and spend a little time together.  If anyone is interested please let me know.

In addition I know that some of you have spoken with Jon Shampain concerning the ridiculous starting dates.  We all spend a bundle of money and time to make this race a memorable experience for our crew and families.  I must say that it’s very disappointing that our class is shoved off to the side in favor of the BIG boys!  If we are all on the same page I would think that the Transpac Board would realize their mistake and include a third starting date so we have a chance to finish in the top of the fleet and possible be 1st to finish.  If the start dates remain the same we will finish near or at the end of the fleet and possibly last to finish.  I’m sure that none of us want that honor!

Once again I’m looking forward to seeing everyone!  
 
Jack Taylor

Jack, thanks for getting us all on the same 'page'.
Yes I got a call from Jon.  I will be glad to talk about this and have us all agree on something that allows us to be competitive.
Another way to look at this is that it is in our best interest to start with our strongest competitors.  The first days of the race are the most critical/volatile, and I would not like to be in a different weather that could ruin our chances.
As others have said, starting 3 or 4 days apart could either be a blessing or a nightmare.
Just a thought.
Thanks, and see you tomorrow.
Paul C.

Jack,
Our ability to finish first is exactly why the "big boys" complained.  The thinking is, if its a slow couple of first days for them vs. us, we'll get them at the finish line.  That ignores the opposite may be true ( a 50/50 chance..)  My vote is for the same starting sequence as the past three races.
Regards,
Jim

Jack,
As a class can't we ask for our own start?
G  

Good afternoon Bill & Dave,

I am haunted by the new start schedule and that it appears the slowest rated
boat in our start could be the last to finish.  Why not start everyone at
once or go back to the three starting dates?  Is the new schedule done or is
there room to maneuver?

I need to figure this out by the end of February.

Thanks for listening & Dave & I can go over this while he is here.

Aloha,
    gib

Hi Gib,

We discussed this again, and Jon Shampain's letter, at the board meeting
last night.  The board remains convinced that the approach to consolidate
starts for all the faster boats in the race is the fairest way to eliminate
as much as possible the large variations in weather that can occur over the
two or three day period between starts.  Certainly the weather strongly
influenced the winners in both 2007 and 2009.  We want the fairest possible
race for as many boats as possible.

With the Santa Cruz 50s starting on Friday, they should arrive in Honolulu
the following Monday or early Tuesday, hardly "last to finish"!

It will be great to see you guys next week.

Cheers,

DaveC 

Hi Gib:

The board discussed the pros and cons.  At the end of the discussion, there
was not sufficient support to generate a motion to deviate away from the two
start plan - either to one start or back to three.

Because so many boats are much faster than 30 years ago, a one start plan
would need a major regroup on how the Honolulu Committee would manage it,
schedule the parties, etc.

The two start plan will do the following:
1) Make the racing more fair.
2) Maintain a reasonable finish window for the Honolulu
Committee.
3) Schedule finishes neither to early or too late the wonderful
party schedule.   

I think it best to plan around the 2 start system.

Bill Lee
Commodore, Transpacific Yacht Club - 2010-2011
The Wizard Sez:
     "More sailboat races are won by going the right way than anything else"


 2/5/11

Jack,
Would enjoy meeting you next time I am in the south or when you come to Honolulu.
I too, am disappointed in the start program & have expressed this to Bill & Dave.  Chasch Mer has the slowest rating and Randy Parker would not like it if I drive SC50 #1 to last.
I hope you create a real SC50 class.
Aloha,
Gib 

Hi Jack -

Great to hear from you...  I hope all is well!

Yes, we too are quite disappointed.  We have a crew that is coming from around the world for this event, and for most of them, it is truly a opportunity of a lifetime, and something they have always wanted to do.  I do not look forward to describing to them the new starting arrangement which more or less condemns our group to being the last boats to Hawaii, and I don't really have a good explanation as to why it was implemented.  I can understand and justify truly staggered start as in the past; and I can understand and justify a single start day as in other noteworthy offshore races.  A 'halfway' solution as proposed. however, does not make any sense at all.

I am in Puerto Vallarta so will be unable to attend the meeting, but I will send Bill and email this evening, and will do what I can to assist in both this matter and all facets of continuing interest to the SC50 fleet...

Looking forward to Cabo!!

All the best,

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment