Wednesday, February 16, 2011

19) TransPac 2011 delivery e/m's 16 : article idea

Sent to Latitude 38:

Richard,

I am delivering S/V Chasch Mer SC 50 hull #1 in April from Kaneohe Bay to Long Beach to stage for the Transpac.  I will then do the Transpac on this boat, again.

There is material here for an article on the life of this boat and the round-trip.  I will blog it if you guys don't want to pick it up and thought it was worth running by you first.

Dave



Dave -
Thanks for thinking of us, but if somebody is going to write something, it has to be about a much more specific topic. Maybe something will come up.
2/17/11

Gib,

I feel I should run this by you.

I intend to blog the delivery and Transpac but intend to stay connected and not take as many shots.  I listen to you.

I contacted Latitude 38 to see if they were interested in writing about the life of #1 and this round-trip.  They bounced back with a let's wait and see if it can be developed.

If they don't pick it up I intend to blog it on my site:  http://itsforsail.blogspot.com/


But, I now have another idea.  I'm thinking of writing a book titled The Life of Hull #1.  There is a massive amount of information that needs to be developed to create this and it would involve me capitalizing on you and Chasch Mer.  I can't do that in good conscience.  This would have to be collaborative.

To get this in or out of my head so I can adjust my focus should I pursue an attempt at a book or stick to my blog.  Don't be shy about your opinion.  Writing the book will take monumental effort and it could be easier to walk away.

Dave 

Kevin, (my atty)

I got the green light of cooperation today from a key source of information for me to move forward writing a limited-appeal book about some long-distance sailing that I have scheduled this year.

In effect, there are about 20 people immediately affected and potentially 100+ more.

My concern is that I know nothing of the legal end of getting releases, etc for a venture of this kind.  I know what the book is about and how to get the info I need but I don't know how to cover my *ss.

The basis of the source material will be collected by the end of July this year.  I intend to have a rough draft sometime late this year.

Do you fit in this picture to handle legal stuff?

Dave

2/18/11

Kevin,

Your time is valuable and I don't want to take it up on a fishing expedition.  Before I make any substantial move I'll contact you again and then we'll work out the details and you can point me in the right direction.

In a nutshell this is the basis of the book:

* in April (4) of us are delivering S/V Chasch Mer Santa Cruz 50 hull #1 from Kaneohe Bay to Long Beach to prep for the July '11 Transpac.

* i did the '07 TP on this boat and will do it again in July.

* Roy Disney filmed the '07 TP race and Disney released Morning Light as a full-feature film.

* the owner of Chasch Mer is willing to work with me and has book publishing experience and sailing contacts that I need.

* the gist of the book is to document the delivery prep and delivery, the TP prep and the race, brief history of the Transpac, brief history of Santa Cruz 50s, personal stories from Santa Cruz 50 crew's.

The Santa Cruz 50 is the foundation of sleds for downhill offshore sailing and I am in a unique position to document the year in the life of this ground-breaking ultra-light.

Dave

Guys,

I am in the planning stage of documenting the delivery and it has morphed into something bigger.  I planned to blog this delivery and the Transpac but it seems I might write a book about it.  I talked to Gib and will get all the cooperation and guidance I may need from him.  I have also talked to my atty about the legal crap.

I am still in the sleeping on it planning stage and nothing is set.  No matter what, I plan to take video and stills and journalize the delivery and this impacts all of you.  Let me know up front right now if that would be a problem.

If it is not a problem,  please take as many pics as you possibly can and keep a journal if possible.  A section of the book will be about crews as related to SC50s exclusively. 

This will be a wet ride.  Ah hell, every ride is a wet ride.  Plan cameras accordingly.  Full HD and water-resistant.

I am currently eying another Sony Xacti.  My other one? at the bottom of the bay south of the bay bridge.  Bye-Bye $400.  The neck strap failed and it slid all the way down my foulies as I was working the bow for a gybe in a race.

Dave 

Hi Dave,
Click away, no problem!  I want to check out the movie Morning Light, that Bill mentioned.
Mark
...Cool!  I think that's an excellent idea.  I'll be keeping a log and a journal.  I bought a waterproof Olympus camera that also takes HD video.

I set up a Facebook group for Chasch Mer.  We can post to it from the boat via email over the satphone.  We won't be able to post photos or videos until we get back due to the limited bandwidth.  It seemed an easier way than than using Mark M's blog.

Bill

Dave,
OK with me!
Clive
Kevin,

I remember that your son was interested in sailing and just want to pass on the info that there is a crew position available for the 2011 Transpac on S/V Chasch Mer.  I have experience on this sled and here are some links:

http://www.chaschmer.com/

http://www.transpacrace.com/

The primary requirement is the skill and ability to drive a sled in all conditions day & night.  This is formula 1 where the big boys play.  It is tough getting a break into this arena and usually a catch-22.  But, any fast driving & trimming experience will at  least get you an interview.

If your son is not available this is an open call for talent.

Dave   



Dave,
            Thanks for thinking of him. However between work, school and this skill set being over his head I think it will be a pass. --Kevin




2/19/11

Dad,


I fly to Honolulu on April 18 for a 20th departure.  We're all busy working out the details.  I got everyone on the same page to take pics and carry a journal.  I intend to blog it but that morphed into a book idea.  Gib, the owner, gave me the green light of cooperation and now I have the basis for Days in the life of hull #1.  I plan to chronicle the delivery and the Transpac and enhance it with Transpac and Santa Cruz 50 history including crew stories.  It goes well beyond the immediate couple of dozen people to potentially more than a hundred. 


I am updating my blog about last Oct's trip to Cabo and thought you might be interested in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGgTywpKoGk


The behind the scenes: I had to set up the camera on the stanchion well before sunrise.  I'm in the yellow hood.


David

2/21/11

Gib,

I am going to move forward and start collecting information.  I've done some research and so far have not discovered any book with the material that is laid out before me right now.  I have a good concept and can visualize the final product so the biggest hurdle is behind me.

I appreciate your offer to help and I am now asking for your help.  I would be indebted for any introductions you can make and any connections or information you can provide me.

I would appreciate you breaking the ice with the owners of all the existing 50s that you know.  As of right now I do not know how many of the original 28 are still in service.

I will contact each and every one of them because I think it is extremely important to include all the perspectives and experiences with the 50s.

The sections of the book will include an introduction, sc50 history, the delivery, the Transpac, sister ships, crew stories/experiences.

I will gladly accept any ideas you can send my way.

Once again, thanks for your support.

dammitDave 



2/22/11


OK Dave.
I will prepare a cover letter to Bill Lee & the others I know.  This letter will be sent to you 1st for clarification.
There are also, some assumptions I will be making to make this sing a little more to the others.  You will need to edit or decide if these will help.

As soon as I have time.  Meantime send me what you have.

Aloha,
     GIB
 


Gib,


I attached a resume so that you can get a better picture as to some of my sailing credibility.  There are a 1000 stories between the lines and I have managed to write some of them in my blog.


I have 19,800 offshore miles consisting of an inordinate amount of solo watch time in that number and a limited amount of high-performance catamaran.


I cut my teeth on S/V Learjet an '89 56' Nelson-Marek.


Dave  

3/2/11

Sun> pm
I did not have a problem with grammatical correction.  Some of the sentence structures could be different, but maybe not necessarily better than they are now.  I know that you should not start a sentence with a "preposition: ie., of, for, from, with, between; or because of; instead of; in spite of, etc. 
I cannot understand some sentences - either because I am not the final audience who will understand the story;  or you have not explained/written your thoughts succinctly.  (that's a two-bit word).

I have found that readers of my blog are not sailors and still find interest in the story.  What I am attempting at this point is for the reader to comprehend what is being said without having a sailing background.
I think that if you are going to "publish" this, meaning to the public, then I think you should think about paying a "real book editor" to do the job "right".  If it is written for Latidude38, then maybe they have their own editors.  Just my thoughts.

This will be self-published and that means "we" have to do all the work.  I'm sure there is something to be gained from this.
You seem to be writing this in sort of a "short/clipped" manner.  Your normal writing is so wonderful, and meaningful.  I know that you cannot put a whole story in sec. 1, so lets re-visit this section for content, after more sections are written.   Do put some "meat" on all the "bones" you are presenting in the story.
Shit!!   it sounds like I know what the hell I am talking about.

Ah yes, the difficulty of writing someone else's story has bled through my arrangement of the words I found.  This SC50 intro will be the most difficult section to produce and that is why I started with it first.  It is not my story and I have to reproduce what has already been said.  But, I have to re-arrange the words.  A side note, maybe this part of the intro is short phrases/paragraphs with lots of pictures.

The SC50 is a scaled down version of Merlin but there is no collection of information about Merlin in one place.  Bill's story is not in one place either.  What I wrote is the basis of what I think needs to be told in order to set up the intro to the SC50 of which there is nothing available.  I am going to need a massive amount of info from Bill Lee otherwise the entry gets modified and blended into the story.  It could be that Merlin and the SC50 are the same boat.


I have a massive amount of topics that I want to put in this book and don't think I will have a problem creating enough pages. 


The delivery and Transpac will be my words and my story that will unfold as it happens and there will be no right or wrong, only writing technique that can be judged.


The crew interviews will also be told by others and recorded by me. 


You as editor cannot hurt my feelings by criticizing the work; that is your job.  I sent out a request for a blog entry in the past and got 2 responses; one thought it was good and didn't need any changes and one thought it needed a complete re-write eliminating half of it.

I will take anything you can offer; re-write a sentence; re-arrange the sentences, create a topic; branch off the topic, etc.

David
 
Wed. pm
Well, I finally finished.  I can't wait to see future installments.  I hope that after all the changes I made, you will  let me "edit" again.
Love,
Dad


3/2/11

Wednesday, March 2, 2011, 1:36 PM


I have found that readers of my blog are not sailors and still find interest in the story.  What I am attempting at this point is for the reader to comprehend what is being said without having a sailing background.  (this would seem to allow you to explain some of the sailboat jargon or procedures. I remember in an earlier writing, you created a whole list of items that were wrong with the Trinidad boat.  I really liked that;  some of those types of items could be further defined in describing why The Merlin is different/futuristic etc. (I hate the word "etc." - what meaning does it really have? (other than I do not know what else to add.)


I think that if you are going to "publish" this, meaning to the public, then I think you should think about paying a "real book editor" to do the job "right".  If it is written for Latidude38, then maybe they have their own editors.  Just my thoughts.

This will be self-published and that means "we" have to do all the work.  I'm sure there is something to be gained from this.   Yes, and I will gain knowledge by gleaning help from five grammar and writing books that Betty gave me to help me edit.  I want to point out something that I feel regarding grammar and  first impressions.  Every day that I read the newspaper, I find on almost every lengthy article, basic grammatical errors.  My first impression is that the writer does not know his Enlish language, and even moreso how to structure a sentence.      Here is from this morning's Mercury news (note that morning has an apostrophe between g and s to denote one morning, not multiple which would be mornings'.)

FIVE TOWNS HAVE AGREED TO LOBBY ON TRAIN ISSUES AS A GROUP OF BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND OTHER COUNCIL MEMBERS DISCUSS IDEA.       It would read much better if it said;  Five towns have agreed as a group to lobby on train issues, as the Board of Supervisors and other council members discuss the idea.  

You as editor cannot hurt my feelings by criticizing the work; that is your job.  I sent out a request for a blog entry in the past and got 2 responses; one thought it was good and didn't need any changes and one thought it needed a complete re-write eliminating half of it. There you go; didn't I say that you can't please everyone, but you need to please yourself. 

I will take anything you can offer; re-write a sentence; re-arrange the sentences, create a topic; branch off the topic, etc.  Tell me, after you have finished with the edit that I suggested, if you see improvements that I need to do to make it easier for you.
 
March 3, 2011 7:09:32 AM
Subject: Re: Merlin


Hi,

I have not looked at the returned docs yet.  I inserted some answers in the text below. 

3/3/11

Thanks for the explanations - that helps me a lot when I read and edit. I made some comments below in RED.
Dad
 ps.  looks like you have taken on a large task; that is, writing from outside your personal knowledge/experience of the subject (Merlin-Bill Lee). 

3/3/11

I just popped open the docs you sent back and relieved by the red ink.  That's what I want from the editor's.  I don't have time this morning to work on it but it is on the short-short list of things to do.

A special note: at the bottom of my writing there is a Notes: section.  These are my notes that were copied from other docs.  I will use it to glean info and use as a thinking tool.  I did not write this stuff.  What you see in those mixed-up out of place words is all that is available about the SC50.  That is why I am attempting to write this book.

The intro I wrote is pretty much all that needs to be told about Merlin and it stops because I now need info from Bill Lee.

David

 

No comments:

Post a Comment