Sunday, March 20, 2011

41) TransPac 2011 delivery e/m's 23



Dad,

I attached a rough draft of the list of questions that I want to send Bill Lee.


I need to polish it.  I will send it to Gib and he will send to Bill with an intro for me.


Take a look at it and help me out with the phrasing of the questions and the letter form.


Also, add any questions you think would get a good response.


According to Gib, Bill will not answer anything that exposes himself to liability such as errors in design, problems and failures.


David


Gib,

I attached a doc with questions for Bill Lee.  Please review it and if you think changes should be made let me know.

If the doc is good as it is please forward to Bill and let's get that ball rolling.

thanks.

Dave 

3/22/11
Bill,

A few weeks ago I told you about David Burke, who is writing the book on Chasch Mer.  The books chapters include the Parkers & current owners, Transpacs & deliveries, her sisters and of course design & construction.  You may end up calling him DamnitDave, but the book project has lots of merit.  Please check out his questions to you (attached) and email him as to the best/ easiest way to interview.

By the way, DamnitDave was our mast man in 2007 and will be on the delivery next month to California as well as in this years Transpac.  I think you will like him.

Thanks & Aloha,
  gib
PS the rudder bearings are giving us fits, can’t find the exact replacements, thanks for your input.

Wizard Yachts, Ltd
Attn:  Mr. Bill Lee
345 Lake Ave # E
Santa Cruz, CA 95062-4600

Re: Santa Cruz 50 hull #1  


Dear Mr. Lee, 

I am currently gathering facts for a book I am writing on the Santa Cruz 50.  I am focusing on hull # 1’s development and history.  I have many questions whose answers will help me put some meat on the bones of the SC50 story. 

I will really appreciate if you can create time to help me, by providing some source information and history about the Santa Cruz 50.  Please feel free to add relevant or interesting anecdotes about you and the boat - before, during and after launch.  In this respect, if it is easier for you to vocalize rather than write your answers, I will be most happy to transcribe, either from a recording, or by you allowing me the honor to visit with you personally.  Obviously, I am passionate about your boat.

What were some of the factors that influenced you to build the SC50?
How do you pronounce the name Chasch Mer?
How did the name come about?
What did it mean at the time?
What is the story of how Randy Parker came to be the 1st SC50 owner?
How difficult was the process of loading and transporting Merlin to Moss landing
Why did Merlin launch at Moss Landing rather than Santa Cruz?
Where did SC50 #1 originally launch? 
Were you on board? 
Who was the skipper?
Was SC50 #1 a speculation boat or built for an owner?
If for an owner, how did you find him?
What character traits of the first SC50 did you like the most?
What prompted or justified production of hull #2, and beyond?

There is plenty of information about the development of Merlin but practically no history that I can find of the SC50.  Is there anything you can add to help expand the story of SC50?  (And maybe brag a little bit).

Racing rules usually influenced design; was the SC50 designed to follow the rules?  
Or, to stretch the rules? 
Or, force new ones?
The design concept of the SC50 was intended to compete against what contemporary boat?  
I understand that Ragtime influenced the decision to make Merlin.  What influenced the decision to make an SC50?
What characteristics about hull #1 fell within your design parameters/intentions?
            Structure
            Performance     
What is it about the first SC50 hull that confirmed the quality and characteristics were worth
re-producing?  
How far did the subsequent SC50 hulls stray from the first iteration?
Did an SC50 design detail on paper exceed the theoretical expectations after it was produced?
Is SC50 hull #1 a scaled-down version of Merlin
If so, how and why?
The chicken-coop ceiling height influenced the beam size of Merlin.  Would a taller building have produced a bigger boat?
Why did you use a foam core on SC50 hull #1?
Are SC70s reproductions of Merlin?
Can you provide a list of SC50 production dates?
List of hull #’s, sail numbers, boat names. 
Would you be willing to share photographs for publication in my book?
What is the time-line for the beginning of Magic Marine and the transition into Bill Lee Yachts then into Santa Cruz Yachts? 
What was the conventional wisdom of the sailing environment like when designing and building the very first ULDBs before they were widely accepted?
What did you gain from your experience with American Indian canoes?
Did the performance characteristics of the canoe influence your thoughts on ULDBs?
Is there anything now after 30+ years that you would change on SC50s?
Why did you choose to build 50-foot boats at that specific time in history?   

Respectfully,

David Berke

Notice!

Do not panic yet.  Rudder Bearings have been ordered from Denmark.  I
thought I was done with the Danes when I sold my X Boat 9 years ago.  Normal
turn around for these custom jobbers is 4 weeks.  I have lit a fire & you
know I will stay on it.  Projected delivery departure is still April 20th.  I
know it, the yard knows it, PYI knows it & the guys at Jefa Bearings know
it.  ALL are pulling to assist us to deliver Chasch Mer to Long Beach in
order to make our race.

Hard to believe when starting so early we still have a panic.  The GOOD NEWS
is we go through this before the other racers.  When we get to the starting
gate our boat has been tested.

Aloha,

   gib

3/23/11
Gib,

I was just wondering why the rudder bearing are being replaced.  Are you replacing the originals?

Bill


Bill & All,

Less than 2 years ago we had a new design rudder built & installed. The rudder bearings were fine then. They were the originals with around 6 Transpacs use. About a month ago a friend noticed a slight cavitation.  The boat drives so well anything at all is noticed.  Hence we thought we should look.  Apparently, when we replaced the rudder, we neglected to put “never seize” between the rudder shaft & the bearings.  So the bearings were destroyed in removal for inspection. The upper bearing was showing a slight bit of wear & the lower a little more. They may have gone another 10-20,000 miles.  But, you never know. Pretty damn good for 1979 Bearings. Now we should have more confidence in the steering system while shooting over those pacific swells at 24 knots!

Aloha,
    gib
 

3/24/11

Dad,

I have a chain of e/m's from Gib about the starting issue that he told us to keep quiet.  Our crew has contacted the committee as well as most of the other SC50s have done so, too.  No one understands why they are doing the 2 starts.  But, the race will go on.  I have flights and a room in Waikiki and I'm committed.

The book has the potential to go in too many directions and I am intentionally not including anything about SC50s that doesn't pertain to the beginning and their reign in the 80s.  That was a time when Bill was looked at as a fun guy to sail with who happened to be really smart.  I don't want to include what is currently going on; I will witness it and wonder.

The book already is going in directions other than specifically the SC50, that includes clouds, weather, water, safety, and my personal experiences.  I am now wondering if 1 year is enough time to write it.

David 

3/29/11
Dave,
How's work schedule going? You still up for one more "get the rust out" sail on 4/4?
Clive


3/30/11

Clive,

I just don't have an answer yet. 

My primary focus is to get 3 jobs done asap.  (2) are easy and will use 3 days total and the (1) I am on is difficult & dangerous and looks like it will take another (5) days.  I am trying to get all this done quickly so I have a lot of time off before 4/18.

How short of notice can you work with? 
Dave
Dave,
Understood.  My guess is the number of rain days impacted your planning as well.
I think if we stay focused on a weekday very little lead time is needed - maybe 2-3 days.
My planning is similar to yours in the sense that I intend to ramp down significantly starting next week to concentrate on passage prep.  But I do have to travel to
East Coast 4/6-8 (wed-fri).  Other than that I have pretty good flexibility 4/4-4/15.
How about I ping you again over the weekend?
Clive
3/31/11
My estimate is that I have at least (9) days of work between (3) jobs.  I am going to try and only take Sunday's off since that is not a good day to work for the neighbor's on the job-sites.  That puts me through all the way to 4/9.  I'm sure something will trickle into the week of 4/10.  I will definitely need to wind down that last week somehow and I intend to not do the hard physical work.  The San Martin job is extremely difficult.  We are sore and tired every day. 

I have to choose a priority and at the moment it is finishing these jobs.  Actually, I will only be able to finish (2) of them and I let the clients know that the other jobs will have to be done in May.

Dave
Dave,
I figured that's how its shaping up.  Completely understand - not a problem.  Take it steady on the San Martin job.
If anything opens up schedule-wise let me know (doubtful I realize), but otherwise I'll assume the idea is dead.
Cheers,
Clive

No comments:

Post a Comment