Friday, March 18, 2011

39) TransPac 2011 delivery e/m's 22


Sent: Fri, March 18, 2011 1:51:22 PM
Subject: Emailing: 12tp07start1-07



David, Looking for SC 50's, I found this also.  Did you have a copy??
dad
Another Thursday starter will be Honolulu businessman Gib Black's Stag's Leap Winery, a Santa Cruz 50 recently named for its new sponsor. It lived the first 28 years of its life as Chasch Mer, something of an icon as the first of its kind in a long line of successful ultralight racers hatched from designer Bill Lee's legendary chicken coop in Soquel, Calif
Randy Parker sailed it in its first Transpac in 1979 and it has done five more since. Black bought it when Parker died two years ago. The boat is a perfect fit for Transpac's following trade winds. 
"This is the boat I was in love with," Black recalled. "I was a surfer as a kid, and this is just a big surfboard."
For those already at sea, it was hardly surfing conditions.





The RUDDER BEARINGS now have to be made & shipped from Denmark!  3+ weeks.
I'm going crazy.

   g

3/20/11
Dave,
Given your extensive long-distance sailing experience, got a couple more clothing questions.......
I'm still figuring out layering under foulies, but over thermal underwear.
You mentioned you favor sweatshirts/hoodys - is that in addition to (ie over) a long-sleeve shirt?
Also, pants under foulies - do you use jeans or have you invested in a different kind of pants
(eg hiking/travel or soft shell pants, etc)?
Not asking you to pack for me :-) But, as you know my off-shore experience was back aways.
Thanks, Clive

Clive,
The toughest part for me to plan for this trip is clothing.  The coldest temps will be in the low 50s several hundred miles off CA and pretty consistent; I do not expect anything colder than that.


A big variable for the entire trip is the lack of a dodger to duck under for the guy not steering.  The guy steering will be exposed to the wind forward of the beam and any spray.  I wear the large waxed hat because when you see the water coming you lean down and it blocks the spray.  The wind will creep through the clothes.  Get a face mask to fight the 6 hours of wind in your face while at the helm.  I have a neck tube that slides up (for snow skiing).


I plan to bring a heavy & loose fitting 2-pc thermal.  I'm not sure if I am going to bring my 1-pc thinsulate jumpsuit due to weight issues and will make the decision at the last minute.  I intend to review the predicted weather pattern and try to determine the temperatures.


I always wear a long-sleeve t-shirt for warmth and to protect against the sun and cuts.  I will put on over the t-shirt a zipped-hoodie which also warms the neck.  The zip allows the flexibility to allow the heat out without dressing down. 


I rarely wear denim jeans because they get stiff at sea, pinch, are not comfortable to sleep in and are not comfortable under foulies.  The only benefit of the denim is the warmth factor.  I wear cargo pants because they are always soft, you can sleep in them and they have lots of pockets.  I have light pairs and heavier pairs. 


Cargo pants allow thermals to fit underneath without a lot of discomfort: denim just doesn't accommodate thermals unless the jeans are really loose. 


I don't bring sweats as the cargo pants take their place.


Keep in mind that you want loose fitting hoodies and t-shirts because you will eventually have a thermal base (and it's more comfortable if it is loose-fitting; I do not wear the skin-tight form-fitting stuff because it is just too uncomfortable).


I am bringing no shorts.


I will regularly sleep in what I am wearing.  It is rare to dress down to sleep.  With a skeleton crew you need to get your ass up and dressed and on deck fast.
Dave

Dave,
Appreciate the fast and comprehensive response!
You've answered my questions.  I get the need for rain hat/face mask.  I know jeans aren't advisable, but thought I'd ping you - cargo pants etc make sense, I need to go invest in some.  I get the sleeping in what you wear - was already assuming it.
Thanks for the help!
Clive


No comments:

Post a Comment