Tuesday, December 20, 2005

54) 533nm E of Barbados

Tuesday 12.20.05 631am
533nm E of Barbados
13° 25.336 N 50° 25.215 W

                      
One of the benefits of having the 6am-9am watch is that you see the sunrise.  And if you are real industrious you can walk the deck and see if anything jumped onboard overnight.  Last night I had the 9pm-12am watch and a flying fish hit the canvas side next to me.  It sounded like a rock hitting it.  I was reading with a book light and knew it was a fish.  Then I smelled it.  So I got up and with my flashlight I saw the fish face stuck to the canvas and the fish on the deck still alive.  Yes, I threw him overboard.  A few nights ago we were talking about people getting hit and injured by flying fish while in the cockpit.  If the sides weren’t up it would have sailed right thru the cockpit.  This guy was at least 8’ above the waterline!



We put up the main and the staysail because the wind was in the high teens and we sailed great!  We just didn’t go exactly where we wanted to go.  Last night the winds got into the mid twenties and it was a rough ride on rough water.  The pic above is what I saw when I came on at 6am.  It was so rough.  I tried to change our course but the autopilot does not respond like it used to.  It’s pretty sloppy now.

Tuesday 12.20.05 325pm

13° 03.187 N 51° 00.622 W
498nm E of Barbados

We’ve been sailing all day and the water has been rough and lumpy with steep 8’ waves breaking on themselves.  We were headed southwest due to the wind angle and I wanted to put up the Genoa.  Then around 2 he decides to tack NW and then raise the Genoa. 

Alan is still taking things apart and they still argue.  I think the pic below says it all.  The food is low but not serious.  We’ve tapped into the water in the 6-gallon jugs stored outside because the tanks onboard are empty.  I think they ran out several days ago.  Less than 500 miles and getting closer to the 200 mile mark.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment