Saturday, September 20, 2008

37) Luganville, Espirito Santo, Vanuatu pt 5

September 2008: South Pacific
Luganville, Espirito Santo, Vanuatu pt 5 (S 15.30.905 E 167.11.027) 

Aore Island, Vanuatu (S 15.32.252 E167.10.810)  

          
                What trip, literally, to the south Pacific is complete without trying Kava?  I have been sampling my share along the way and we heard that Vanuatu Kava is the best there is.  If you look closely you can find these Kava bars and now I know they are everywhere.  Yes, that’s Kava in the big bowl and I bellied up to the bar and ponied up my 100 Vetu for a cup of the brew.  I swear the moment it hit my lips they went numb.  As that dirt tea spilled into my belly I felt my throat instantly go numb.  With that instant effect I suffered thru some strong fierce tasting Kava.  It was so strong I could only take 4 gulps and had to move on.  These guys offered a place to sit along the wall and take my time but it just wasn’t my thing to, uhm, enjoy the full experience.  These pictures of them are misleading.  They were ripped.  

                I was now ready to continue walking the backstreets to get some more pictures and what do I come upon?  Another Kava bar.   I figured I might as well try it to see if the other guys were out of line.  I guess I have to agree that Vanuatu Kava is the best because again instant effect and I could not drink the full cup. 



               
                  Little did I know that this trek was going to be the Kava trek.  I’d had enough of the dirt tea and figured it was time to walk it off.  Then just up the bend in the road I come upon some guys prepping Kava root for sale.  I talked with them for a little while and they then showed me what Kava looks like as it is growing.  I’m not sure how this is a viable market.

               
 
                                                                                                                                                                       
 
                                                                                                                                                               
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment