Friday, September 19, 2008

34) Luganville, Espirito Santo, Vanuatu pt 2

September 2008: South Pacific
Luganville, Espirito Santo, Vanuatu pt 2 (S 15.30.905 E 167.11.027) 

Aore Island, Vanuatu (S 15.32.252 E167.10.810)  

                Ok, first off I need to get a pig-Latin lesson out of the way.  

 
                  
                                You think it is hard reading this stuff try talking to them. 
                                                                                                                                                      
          
       
                                                                                                                          
                 It is not possible to get a full understanding of a place like this without immersing yourself into it for a very long time.  We only scratch the surface approaching by water, walking the main street and maybe a couple backstreets and talking to some locals.  In no way can I expect to tell the story but with some of these pictures a lot is being said.  I try to get shots of the flowers as they are always a good subject.  The signs caught my eye as they are really odd and hard to understand.  I’d like to buy a vowel…

                I’ve had very good luck approaching people and asking if I can take their picture.  Some become so shy but allow it and some just glow with pride.  I think they are reluctant to approach us, except some kids, because of the thought of a language barrier.  Once I break the ice and approach them and start talking I realize they are incredibly friendly, yet still reserved.  Maybe because I talk too fast?  I’m not talking pig-Latin?

   
   
 
 
                The dinghy landing is used by everyone.  When we ferry across from Aore Island we use it.  The locals use it.  Commuting with small boats is very common here and you get a sense of the difficulties of life here.  

 
               

No comments:

Post a Comment