Saturday, January 28, 2006

90) Columbia

Club de Pesca Marina

Cartagena, Columbia
10° 24.940 N 75° 32.699 W


I took a walk over to Castillo San Felipe de Barajas this morning.  Since we were so close it was a sight that I could not pass up.  The walk through town was, interesting.  Cars go the same way and they don’t bump into each other and I haven’t figured out how they do it.  It looks like that old vibrating game with little plastic football players on it.  The objects seem to move all over the place in a cosmic rhythm… oh where am I going with this.  The castle was impressive.  Built several hundred years ago, built in the 1,600s? And it has stood the test of time.  There were only a handful of allowed entrances into the interior of the place and the tunnels seemed to only lead to where the soldiers slept.  Along the narrow and low-ceiling tunnels there were nooks off to the sides just big enough for a person to lie down.  There was room for nothing else.  The ceilings were so low that I had to stoop and it appears that they weren’t very tall in those days.  And like all tourist attractions there was a gift shop at the top.  If the soldiers and politicos only knew that trinkets and bottles of water would be hawked on the steps of the castle in nineteen diggety…  

(The castle, designed by the Dutch engineer Ricardo Carr, was constructed in the year 1,657.  Later on, the military engineer Antonio de Arevalo completed additions consisting of defensive walls and underground tunnels and galleries.)

View of Club de Pesca Marina from atop the castle.
Old town Cartagena, Columbia
 



I would be exaggerating if I used the words South America in the next statement.  So, pay attention.  I just saw every horse in Columbia walking down the street!


Earlier today we heard about the parade of horses that was supposed to happen in the late afternoon.  We eventually narrowed it down that it started about 530 or so.  I made my way over the bridge and sat on the curb and waited.  While waiting I saw a guy on a motorcycle do a u-turn and so did the cop.  While giving the guy a ticket the guy was doing his best to talk his way out of it.  Granted, there was no sign and he probably has a good case, in America!  While getting his ticket he was obviously agitated and that got the attention of the other cops.  There was about 6-8 cops right there milling about the scene and they all had some kind of talk with the guy.  In the end, right before getting on his cycle he got louder and louder and more animated and pissed.  And I think the cops knew it.  When he got on his cycle he revved the throttle and gave his best glare through the slot in his helmet, yes he is concerned about his health and safety and wears a helmet while riding his motorcycle, to the cops closest to him and raced off up and over the bridge.  Everybody clapped when the next guy who tried to make a u-turn stopped when the cop blew his whistle.

 
Back to the parade.  There were some carts, horses pulling carts and people riding horses.  Lots of people lined the streets, too.  And lots of people cheered.  Come to think of it so did some of the riders.  I did not know what to expect and it very much surprised me.  Seeing these horses and some riders in costume conjured up images of when horses really did ply these streets.  This event is a tradition and in a sense they take it pretty seriously.  Some also partied hard on the way cause I saw many a bottle being handed from rider to rider.  Some of the ladies were dressed nicely.  Some of the men were dressed very traditional.  But, some of the kids dressed in style were just too damn cute.  This event was a family affair in the Columbian way and something not to be missed.  

Towards the end of the parade I made my way to old town.  I wanted to hit the Internet for the last time until we get to Panama, get some ice cream and spend the remaining Pesos.  Cruising through town I came upon some dancers and managed to squeeze in and get some shots. These kids were fantastic!  The energy and innocence was electric.  It was nice to be in the square with all the families and locals watching this happen. 

I tried my best to buy some gourmet coffee with my Pesos and I just did not have enough.  I thought maybe they would feel sorry for the language barrier but they would not cave in.  I tip my hat to my foe.  But all was not lost.  I have been trying to get a specific glass coke bottle.  In restaurants they take the bottle and in stores they are plastic.  I finally found a pizza place and with the language barrier I managed to get out the door with the glass bottle.  I would have wanted one that was unopened but I could not stop them.  So, there I was, a Coke commercial coming to life, in the dim streetlights walking down the narrow streets of old town in Cartagena drinking Coke out of a bottle.  Funny, the only trinkets I cherish the most are Coke bottles from places other than what I call home.  My collection started back in the early 80s when my Dad traveled far and asked me if I wanted anything.  To this day I have an eclectic collection of Coke bottles from both hemispheres east and west.  I’m glad I didn’t follow through with collecting pianos.  I made a gallant effort at it but got sidetracked.  

   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment