Monday, February 6, 2006

101) Panama

Colon, Panama
Panama Canal Yacht Club
9° 20.939 N 79°  54.189 W

Woke up to a clear blue sky with a nice breeze.  Somehow with an overcast sky this marina becomes even drearier and today was a needed respite.  One of the dangers of hanging laundry to dry on board is the potential to lose something.  The breeze was up and a mattress pad went down.  To the bottom.  Frustrating.  We fished it out with the pole and prevented having to search in town for a replacement.  A little earlier in the day Alan was dispatched in the dinghy to search for it and after his little venture I happened to look under the boat as I was walking by and saw it.  

Although the distance is not great, crossing from coast to coast in Panama is not easy. The main rail line from Colón on the Atlantic side to Panama City on the Pacific side parallels the Panama Canal.  Panama's two other rail lines do not cross the entire country and are used mainly to ship bananas.


I had some cabin fever and wanted to go into town so I tagged along with Nancy to the grocery store.  We parted there because I wanted to find the post office and get a souvenir stamp for my passport.  I felt this was a good opportunity for me to see more of Colon as I wanted to see some side streets.  I lasted about 4 blocks and clearly saw enough and wanted back on the main street.  There were lots of people out and several produce markets along the way.  When I glanced at the wide alleys between the buildings I was shocked at the amount of trash and dirty standing water as well as running water.  It literally looked like a dump.  This image between the well-worn-down and decaying buildings gives the impression of severe poverty and depression.  I got back on track to the post office.

 I relied on the directions we received from one of the police officers and when I got to where I thought it was I had to ask for help.  A young guy spoke English and took me right to the place.  He even went inside and translated for me.  There usually is a Good Samaritan if you just ask.  I never would have found this place.  I was supposed to continue on up the dead-end street by going down the narrow sidewalk entryway.  Then, on the left up a couple doors was an unassuming glass door.  That was the place. I never would have found it on my own.

Walking back to the marina I passed the bus station and more stores and such, got panhandled by a kid and generally feel I have seen enough of this place.  It is sad that it has been reduced to this.  Everywhere you look you see the faces of the direct descendent's of the laborers that built the canal.  This is an historical area that has been overlooked and forgotten by progress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment