Sunday, February 13, 2005

12) Chaguaramas, Trinidad

February 13, 2005

Mystery pool and restaurant.
            The first morning I was in Trinidad Jeff and I walked to the restaurant in the marina we were staying in for breakfast.  It was closed.  We walked to the marina next to this one and their restaurant was closed.  We learned from the gate-guard that the hotel restaurant down the road might be open for breakfast.  We got some vague directions and headed off.

            We came upon a deserted looking building that could have been a hotel.  We asked a grounds-keeper for more information and he pointed us to the back of the place.  So, we walked on thru the buildings and yard and came upon this swimming pool.  This pool sits directly below a multi-story building with a long staircase that leads directly to an outdoor balcony with seating.  It wasn’t really a restaurant in the sense that we all understand.  But, looking through the doors we discovered several tables with food laid out.  We stumbled upon the hotel buffet.  We did what anyone as hungry as us would do.  We picked up plates and loaded them up.  I got stuff I had no idea what it was.  Fresh juice and fresh fruit were the only items I recognized.  Everything else was local cuisine.

            Well, we ended our breakfast and honest that we were we looked for the place to pay. We caused quite a commotion with the staff because this took them by surprise.  They thought we belonged there.  Someone came from the back with a pad of paper and figured out a bill that we all agreed upon and it was settled.  We paid about $6.00 US each.  Not bad  One successful meal accomplished and no worries until the next meal.

Mystery pool and restaurant.
Crews Inn restaurant.

As of this morning I now know what one of those mystery items was.  I had the buffet from the Lighthouse restaurant near the Crews Inn hotel and I recognized an item labeled smoked Herring.  The island style has some spices and vegetables added to it.  After having it the other day and liking it I tried it again today and it was just as good.  I also tried salted fish this morning that apparently I tried the other day.  It too had spices and vegetables added in and I did not like it today as I did not like it previously.

Bologna with sweet peppers and onion was on the menu today.  Let’s see, Spam is popular in Hawaii and I’m thinking Bologna is popular here.  Funny, it was really good.





No comments:

Post a Comment