Saturday, February 12, 2005

11) Chaguaramas, Trinidad

February 12, 2005

            After last night’s late conversation I did think about “it” for a second and decided it was time to leave Trinidad and S/V Laetitia.  The deal-breaker for me was the lack of a life-raft and/or an EPIIRB.

Several months in advance of arriving in Trinidad a group of about 10 met the owner and each other for the first time around a large table in the restaurant called Skates in Berkeley, CA.  Jeff's presentation included charts, pictures and several documents about the boat and all seemed in order.  Several of us decided to move forward and a few had reservations and backed out.  Jeff told us the boat was having a new teak deck installed and that was the only work being done to the boat.  He arrived at the boat a week before any of us did so he could be prepared when we got there.  He anticipated there would be something for him to do since the boat had been in that yard for well over 6 months and he had not been back since parking it. 

I was repeatedly assured prior to leaving San Francisco that this vessel would depart on February 15th and that this vessel was qualified and prepared for the proposed passages.

I arrived Port of Spain on February 5th offering to help clean up the boat and provision as a good will gesture with great optimism and anticipation.  After witnessing first-hand the condition of the boat and the struggle to get anything done by the boatyard workers, which Jeff had a work-order contract with, I came to a conclusion.  There is a distinct difference of opinion between Jeff and me as to what a qualified vessel for offshore passage making should be.

             I packed up the next morning and prepared to leave.  Jeff and I went across the water to the Crews Inn so I could check in and so he could meet with business owners that were supposed to be working on the boat.  We returned to the boat that morning and went our separate ways.

            Power Boats marina is on the right in the distance and hidden. Crews Inn is in the complex in the center across the water where the red & white striped symbolic lighthouse is.
Crews Inn Marina

I ended up leaving the room at Power Boats yard in the early afternoon when miraculously a taxi pulled right up to my door dropping off the neighbors.  I was dreading the 2-3 mile walk with my luggage, putting the luggage in the dinghy and/or the lack of phone to call the rare taxi.  I checked-in to the Crews Inn hotel and got a flight for Monday morning.  But, arranging a flight was an extremely difficult process and involved a lengthy series of e-mails to the states and hope.  

I settled in.  At this point things got better!

Crews Inn
Crews Inn
Crews Inn
(You Tube clip) everything else pt1
(You Tube clip) everything else pt2
      (You Tube clip) everything else pt3     


Post Script: I searched the e/m trail from this period and unfortunately did not save them in an e/m category that was not automatically dumped.  I did manage to find (1) e/m from a crew-member that found the boat in Panama so it did in fact leave Trinidad.  I have no regret not participating as the offer changed when the life-raft was no longer a viable piece equipment.

Reading between the lines of the following e/m is easy for me.

Sunday, April 3, 2005 3:39 PM
Hello All,
This is brief update on the travels of Jeff, crew and Laetitia.  I met Jeff, Joby and Peter in Bocas del Toro in Panama.  Everything was very smooth.  I planned to meet them at the marina on the 20th and actually found them on the street while strolling around after dinner.  We spent a few days in Bocas which is a fantastic little town with everything a person could want aside from high end resorts which few of us care for anyway.  The people were great, the snorkling was great, the town was cozy and mellow and the beer was plenty.  After a few days we sailed to Colon which is the entrance to the Canal where Jeff made plans to go through with an agent. 
Everything was great and I really enjoyed the crew.  Jeff is a pretty mellow guy and very appreciative of cleaning and prompt responses to simple requests.  If any of you have had doubts about joining Laetitia and Jeff, I would brush those aside, buy your plane ticket and go have a fantastic trip.  I know Ronnie didn't have a good experience and that sucks especially as a teacher trying to get away but ...I must say that I had exactly the opposite experience.  Maybe it was the luck of the draw but it seems like Jeff is a conscientious person and tries to keep everyone happy.  Okay all, good luck and safe sailing.  Jeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment