Monday, August 16, 2010

2) TransPac 2011 offer

I got an offer for a crew position from Gib and I accepted.  I would reprise my role as fore-deck crew as well as helm.

One part of the process is selecting crew.  These are excerpts from the e/m exchange between Gib and the crew:

Aloha gang,

This is Transpac 2011 Communication #1.  I never know how many there will be,
nor how frequently they will be sent.  However, I only send them as information changes and new information arises.  PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT EACH TIME YOU GET ONE. AND, I hope you read each as there are miner changes throughout which effect you!

There are very few parts to the TP puzzle:
1) Good communications prior to & during the race.
2) Boat with potential (speed & rating)
3) Well prepared boat
4) Strong team which works well in assigned positions & as a team
5) The best navigational routing given our boat and weather
6) Aggressive sailing strategy

You can see by the attached Transpac Facebook document below we were the first to
enter.  This means we have ample time to address each and every one of those
6 parts in detail making Chasch Mer completely prepared for whatever is ahead.

I have been working on 2 parts over the last couple of weeks, crew & budget. 
Our crew is shaping up very well with Chris, Steve, Bob & me 'o9, Dave
"Dammitdave" 'o7, Bill Riner who is also our delivery skipper and Gordon
Clay who lives on Maui & did the 70 mile Lahaina to Waikiki run with me this
last weekend.  All you remember this as the last & best bit of TRANSPAC.  So
we are at 6 including key positions filled (navigator, bowman, main-sheet,
medical).  Concentration now for the remaining 3 crew-members is on top
driving skill.  If you know of someone please let me know.  I am talking to
a guy in Santa Cruz, 2 here in Hawaii, a Kiwi & there is a crewman from a
past TP showing interest.

Don't know about you guys but, I am working about the same and taking home a
lot less than I did 4 years ago.  The last three races I was grossly over
budget, however, we had big ticket unexpected items. Safety & sails seem to
be the dominant items on our wish list this go-around.

During cocktail hour the night before the Lahaina race someone threw out a
line that kind of stuck with me:

      Putout or get off!

What do you think?

Again, please acknowledge receipt of this TP11 Com.#1

Aloha & I hope you are getting as charged as I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment